We are offering up to £400 project funding to encourage young people aged between 14-20 to create a project that promotes or raises awareness of positive mental health and wellbeing in their community.
The Microgrants programme is funded by Thrive LDN and Team London at the Greater London Authority (GLA) and is delivered by London Youth.
The deadline for round 4 of the London Youth Microgrants is Monday 22nd June at 10pm. If you would like to apply but this deadline does not work for you please get in touch with Kadisha at Kadisha.firstname.lastname@example.org
How does it work?
As the sector adapts to the current context, we are working to ensure this programme continues to have a positive impact on young people in London. Three rounds of Microgrants have already been released and we are now moving into round four. We have adapted this programme to include online activity and multiple funding options to increase accessibility and ensure delivery can happen during this time.
We will accept applications from any young person who attends a London Youth member organisation and is aged between 14-20. We are particularly interested in applications from young people who identify as male, young people with disabilities and young people who have never led a social action project before. We ask that young people have a youth worker from their youth organisation who is able to support them through the programme.
Successful applicants and their youth workers will be invited to online project management training and given the option to receive up to £400 of project funding either directly to the young person (through a debit style money card) or via invoice to the member organisation. The organisation that supports the application will receive £250 once the project is completed and all final evaluation returned. Project duration is decided on by the young person, but project ideas should aim to be finished by September 2020.
We encourage young people to be at the forefront of the project. This means they take a lead on the application process, delivery, evaluating and reporting back.
London Youth has a range of support on offer to Microgrant applicants and their youth workers including:
- Flexible application: different ways to apply including a form, a Zoom call, or a phone call are on offer
- Training for successful applicants: online training for young people and youth workers on how to run a successful social action project. Resources are also made available throughout the project
- Check ins: available regularly with a member of London Youth staff to support with any questions or issues
- Evaluation support: an opportunity to evaluate your leadership with the support of London Youth staff to help aid deeper reflection and learning. This is available through a phone call or Zoom call towards the end of your project.
- Ongoing links: to other opportunities within our organisation and beyond once the project is complete
Unsure of how to lead a project whilst social distancing?
It may take some creativity, but social action can be achieved from home! Here’s some projects that young people have led using their Microgrants funding during lockdown:
- Online support groups to encourage families to start conversations around mental health
- Creating health packages made up of natural products, herbal teas and self-care tips
- Running a 30-day campaign and resource pack on how not to be bored at home
- Creating videos about mental health and spirituality
- Sending indoor gardening packages to other young people who don’t have access to a garden
- Creating resources about building positive relationships with police that can be sent to schools
More examples of how young people have used their microgrants funding can be found in two of our blogs Young Londoners lead their own projects on mental health – blog part one and Young Londoners lead their own projects on mental health – blog part 2
You can also read some ideas on this resource from Hot Chocolate Trust: https://youthworksupport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hot-Choc-activities.png
I’m a London Youth member, how can I apply?
If you are considering applying for this grant please register your interest here.
The deadline for applications is June 22nd 2020 at 10pm. Please note applications must adhere to the most recent government guidelines in order to be considered for funding.
There are three ways that young people can apply:
- Via the online form here
- By downloading the Microgrants Application Form and sending to email@example.com
- A phone/Zoom call with Kadisha at a suitable time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this.
We would like to support as many young people as possible in getting the London Youth Microgrant. We’re happy to review draft applications and answer any questions before submitting.
Please contact Kadisha James-Fergus, Youth Action Delivery Officer on Kadisha.email@example.com if you’d like support in applying or have any questions.