East London has a vibrant and diverse community and is a unique part of the city where people from different cultures and backgrounds live and work. However, along with the challenges of growing up in London, many young people don’t always have the opportunity to have their voice heard or meet others from different backgrounds.
East London Leaders will support up to 200 young people from five east London boroughs: Tower Hamlets, Newham, Waltham Forest, Redbridge and Barking & Dagenham. Participants will explore what local identity means to them through projects and campaigns that have a positive impact on their local community and amplify their voice to get their message heard.
How it works
East London Leaders will support young people to plan and deliver a social action project or campaign that has a positive impact on their community around the theme of local identity. London Youth will provide the structure and support for our members to deliver the project. Support includes:
- £750 in project pot funding as well as an additional £2000 towards support costs.
- Training from London Youth and a dedicated officer to support you through the project
- Expert support from advertising agency, M&C Saatchi, for young people to create content for their campaign or project.
- A masterclass on democratic engagement at Parliament.
The project will:
- Work with young people aged 16*-21 who are based in on of the five boroughs
- Engage young people to explore identity at a local level
- Build confidence and skills by creating youth-led social action
*We have some flexibility to work with 14+, please get in touch if this applies to you.
Join East London Leaders!
If you’re a London Youth member and work with young people who live, study or work in one of the five East London Leaders boroughs then we’d love to hear from you. For more information please email Robbie on Robbie.Cheyne@londonyouth.org or call 020 7549 2961
Join us an our optional information day Friday 21st June to learn more and sign up. Your project will begin with youth worker training in on Monday 9th September with your project to be completed by December.