The Getting Active programme works annually with 120 youth and community organisations delivering weekly sport, dance, physical activity and movement sessions to 3000 young Londoners. Getting Active particularly focuses on engaging and supporting inactive/less active young people , plus young people who face a range of barriers to participation:
- Young people of colour and from ethnic minority communities
- Girls and young women
- Young people from lower socio-economic backgrounds
- Disabled young people
- LGBTQ+ young people
Getting Active tackles stubborn inequalities, increases activity levels and is a foundation for young people’s development, a crucial building block towards improved mental health, confidence and personal and social skills.
Capacity building youth and community organisations
Whatever the focus of your organisation, whatever the size of your organisation, the Getting Active programme is accessible and inclusive to fit into your context. Be that to test a new idea or expand an approach you know to work already, Getting Active is flexible to work with you so the young people you support receive the most impactful sport and physical activity experience at a time and place that suits them. Our package of support includes:
- Grant funding to deliver weekly sessions
- Workforce development opportunities for youth workers, sport coaches and young leaders
- A dedicated sports relationship lead to act as a programme mentor
- Due Diligence support around key policies including safeguarding and insurance
- Bi-weekly sport and physical activity mailout including key sector updates, new opportunities and programmes, funding and training
- Access to the LY Sports Community Whatsapp Group – our active, digital community of practice connecting like minded youth work professionals for peer-to-peer support
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning support – realistic and appropriate impact measurement tools, focus group and share and learn sessions and end of programme individual impact reports highlighting what you have achieved
- Platforming and highlighting your work to the wider London sport sector through blogs, case studies and social media posts
Achieving real results
In the last year we have:
Getting Active has gained a number of external awards including:
- Pro-Active Partner of the Year in East and Central London 2010.
- The London 2012 Inspire Mark, the first youth programme to be awarded this.
- London Sport Community Sport Project of the Year 2014.
Want to get involved:
To find out more about the Getting Active programme, please contact John Jones, Sports Development Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org / 07736 619 595