Getting Ready is our sports development programme which has been created to provide young people with regular sports opportunities. Our two aims are to increase the number of typically inactive young people taking part and to build the long-term capacity of community-based youth organisations to deliver diverse and accessible sports opportunities.
Focused in the more disadvantaged areas of the capital where a lack of facilities, equipment, and trained instructors has built a barrier between young people and participation, we take a carefully staged approach delivering a huge range of sports activities, chosen by young people.
How it works
Getting Ready enables young Londoners, whatever their background, motivations or natural ability, to come together and play sport. Our aim is for each young Londoner to develop a life-long love of sport, in a safe and connected community.
We support 100 of our members to deliver a bespoke ‘sports offer’ chosen by young people in their local community. We reach those not currently participating, who can be disengaged from school and not accessing sports activities elsewhere.
Our programme meets the differing motivations and challenges of young people by offering opportunities through taster sessions, high quality fun weekly engagement, and pathways to coaching qualifications and coaching delivery experience.
We capture young people’s interest and keep them engaged by using the following simple but flexible model tailored for each youth club:
- Introductory taster sessions
- Weekly structures sports sessions
- NGB (or equivalent) coaching and leadership training and progression
- Residential weekends and tournaments
- Disability-specific programmes
- Free sports equipment
- Volunteering opportunities
Achieving real results
In just the last year we have delivered high quality weekly sports programmes in 94 member youth organisations across London. We have:
- Engaged 2,731 young people in weekly sports activities with 41% of these being inactive (outside of school sport) before they began.
- Increased the number of girls and young women taking part in regular sport – from 26% to 40%.
- Provided 2,760 young people with events and festivals.
- Trained 236 young people as sports coaches, activators and leaders.
Getting Ready has gained a number of external awards including:
- Pro-Active Partner of the Year in East and Central London 2010.
- The London 2012 Inspire Mark, the first youth programme to be awarded this.
- London Sport Community Sport Project of the Year 2014.
Since taking part in the programme:
- 89% of young people said they will continue to play sport or be active regularly.
- 75% of young people had improved social competence after taking part in our sports programme.
- 75% of young people had improved emotional control after taking part in our sports programme.
- Both young people and youth workers scored our sports programme an average of 9 out 10.
To find out more please contact our Head of Sport and Culture, Zoe Mellis, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7549 8800.