18 September 2014
Thursday 18 September
Yesterday was a great day for our youth club member Sabrina Amod, 17, who won the Cleaning and Greening Award at the Team London Awards 2014, presented by Boris Johnson, Mayor of London.
The Team London Awards celebrates the importance of volunteering and working together to improve London whilst the Cleaning Greening Award recognises voluntary activity that creates a better environment in communities. Sabrina is a young leader within her youth club Hackney Quest and regularly gets involved in a wide variety of activities.
With London Youth, she has worked on Urban Nature and has supported the delivery of the programme and planned outdoor activities for her peers, displaying her leadership qualities. At London Youth’s Annual General Meeting, Sabrina also won the Atlee Award which recognises youth leadership within local communities. As a key member of HEAT- a youth-led participation programme, Sabrina has also organised a variety of community events and helped with fundraising within her local community of Hackney.
Yesterday evening at the award ceremony, Sabrina said:
“I am honoured to receive this award. Volunteering and working with young people and the community is a big part of my life and it is wonderful to be recognised for doing something I love, which also helps others”.
Francis Felix, 18 from Coram’s Fields was also shortlisted for the Sports & Healthy Living Award which recognises volunteering that encourages and supports sporting activity and healthier lifestyles. Francis, who has already won a number of awards, including Young Volunteer of the Year at the London Sport Awards 2014 and the Greater London Sportivate Participant of the Year Award in 2013, has been volunteering with London Youth’s Sport Development Programme for the past four years. He has been a young leader within his youth club but also with London Youth, and still plays an active role within the programme.
There were also winners and short listed nominees from our network of youth clubs:
- Aitor Fernandez from Volunteer It Yourself won the Mentoring and Coaching Award for Over 25s
- Ab Phab Youth Club’s Swimming Group, shortlisted for the Sports and Healthy Living Award for Over 25s Teams
- Naomi Brown from Haringey Shed, shortlisted for the Mentoring and Coaching Award
- Shpresa Programme-East London Team shortlisted for the Mentoring and Coaching Award
- Stonegove Estates' Youth Project Adult Volunteers and Junior Leaders shortlisted for the Mentoring and Coaching Award
- Fitzroy Lodge Amateur Boxing Club shortlisted for the Sport and Healthy Living Award
Congratulations to all shortlisted nominees and winners!