19 July 2016
Developing young people into confident leaders; of themselves, their peers and in their communities.
London Youth is recruiting for the second cohort of youth clubs for a new programme, City Leaders, starting in October 2016 that will work with the reach and resources of the City of London. The Youth Action team support and challenge young people to design, lead and learn from their own youth led projects. Youth Action will provide the structure, funding and youth worker training to enable young people ages 14-18 to move through four stages:
Team, Club, Community and City Leaders
- ‘Team Leaders’, young people work together to run a group activity and to learn about teamwork with £80 to make this happen.
- ‘Club Leaders’, young people develop and lead a project to improve their youth club with a £400 budget presenting their project idea to a panel at their club.
- ‘Community Leaders’, young people design their own project to have a positive impact on the community, with £600 to pitch for at a prestigious London venue.
- Following the group projects 24 young people who have shown the greatest commitment through the Team, Club and Community Leaders stages of the programme will become ‘City Leaders’. These 24 young people will take part in a three month leadership programme including a free residential, tailored to their needs and designed to help them learn about power and leadership, happening in the summer 2017.
City Leaders will:
- Support 300 young people across 30 organisations to take action in teams improving their youth clubs and having a positive impact in their communities.
- Work with 24 young leaders will take part in a three month leadership programme tailored to their needs and designed to help them learn about leadership and power in London.
Benefits for youth clubs and young people:
- Funding up to £1080 for youth lead projects at each youth club
- Access for one young person from each club to join the City Leaders – a three month leadership programme (including a free residential and support to run a project at the youth club)
- Training for youth workers on running the programme
- Mentors connected to each youth club to support the Club, Community and City Leaders
- Ongoing support from Youth Action staff throughout the programme
How to get involved:
Youth Action will work with 30 clubs in total in three cohorts of ten. Clubs will need to be renewed members of London Youth and have already achieved Bronze, Silver or Gold Quality Mark with London Youth. We are currently seeking ten clubs to join the second cohort with training in October and first projects beginning following this. The next steps are to:
- Express your interest by going to https://londonyouth.wufoo.eu/forms/city-leaders-expression-of-interest/
- Meet with the Youth Action Team
- Attend training in October 2016
If you have any questions please contact Sophie Hewitt – Sophie.firstname.lastname@example.org / 02075498817