Brief:Starter or finishing activity to remember the things we have to be grateful for
Step by Step
- Ask the young people to stand around in a group. Each young person steps forward and recalls aloud 3 things they are grateful for.
- You can extend this exercise by asking them to say 3 thank yous:
– to someone in the room for…
– to someone outside of the room for…
– to themselves for…
- Alternatively, the young people can complete this activity in a journal.
Things to Consider
Be careful not to encourage young people to think of areas of their life that might be a trigger, areas where they may not feel grateful for anything at the time.
Practicing gratitude offers a moment to recall the good things in the present and magnify them. It can also help us to better cope with the stressors.