Breath it Out
Brief:A grounding activity
Step by Step
If in a group…
- Ask the group to walk around the space and find a place in the room on their own.
- Get each young person to place one of their hands on their chest and one on their stomach.
- Ask the young people to breathe in for the count of 3 and breathe out to the count of 5. Repeat this a few times.
- Ask the young people to breathe in for the count of 5 and breathe out to the count of 7. Repeat this a few times then work back to the previous step.
- Ask all of the group to return their breathing to normal.
Things to Consider
An exercise to help centre an individual and regulate their breathing. If a young person is upset in a 1:1 this can be a good way to ground and calm them when they are ready/able to participate in the exercise.