5 4 3 2 1
Brief:Exercise that grounds young people in the moment
Step by Step
- Young people should count and name (in their minds)
– 5 things that they can see
– 4 things that they can hear (might be easier to do this with their eyes closed)
– 3 things that they can touch/feel
– 2 things that they can smell
– 1 thing that they can taste
Things to Consider
This exercise helps when the individual is having anxious thoughts that feel hard to stop, by recognising on the physical senses the young person should find that their thought pattern can be broken.
It can also be a good exercise to do before bed or in the face of an overwhelming emotion.