As part of the Cornerstone project we are running a series of training for youth organisations and youth workers about engaging with research. Youth organisations are increasingly interested in demonstrating the effectiveness of their practice because of funders’ requirements and their own desire to understand the impact they’re making. This training session builds on youth workers’ existing skills of reflection and creativity – all of which lend themselves to qualitative research and evaluation.
We will discuss the process of making sense of data, look at preparing the data, doing initial coding (categorisation) and move into analysis – ‘making meaning’ of the data. We will also touch on writing up and disseminating analysis, and share examples of different kinds of analysis.
This is an interactive session with opportunities to practice data analysis. Resources will be available to take away.
The training is aimed at youth workers, youth work managers, evaluators, and research and learning practitioners in youth organisations. It will be facilitated by Dr Karen Ross (University of Massachusetts Boston). Karen’s practice, teaching and research focus on issues at the intersection of dialogue, peace-building, social activism, and education. She also looks at how research is conducted, and how it can be more inclusive, as part of a collaboration working to reshape the teaching of social science research methodology.
If you have any questions, ideas, or relevant resources to share, please get in touch.
Whilst we do not charge for training, please read the below important information in order to keep training free and available to as many members as possible.
Important Booking Information:
- You can only book maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Cancellation policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. If you let us know less than 48 hours on multiple occasions without a justifiable reason then you and your organisation will be at risk of not being allowed to attend any training for 3 months.
- We operate a waiting list for all training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer, Sophie.
- We will let you know at least 48 hours before the training if there is space.
Contact: If you have any questions or have any issues registering, please contact Maya Reggev - Learning and Evaluation Manager
Date: 19 March 2021 - 19 March 2021
Time: 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
About this event
City Bridge’s Cornerstone Fund proposes a system for putting London’s communities at the heart of the way we work. Taking this work forward, Partnership for Young London, the Centre for Youth Impact, London Youth, and the Young People’s Foundations have come together with a bold vision for young Londoners. We want to create the conditions for services and support for young people to be:
- more informed by research, practice and the experiences of young people themselves; and
- more joined up through local and regional collaboration;
- and thus, more effective.
- We offer training on a range of different topics, free to London Youth members. Click here to view more training.
- To find out more about the benefits of your London Youth membership, click here.
- COVID-19: Click here to read our latest update, including funding, resources and support