Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
Working with young people – an introduction to youth work
16 May, 9:30 am - 23 May, 12:30 pm
AN INTRODUCTION TO YOUTH WORK – two parts 16th May & 23rd May
Workshop 1 – 16th May 9.30zm – 12.30pm
This workshop explores the values and ethics of youth work, the theories that underpin good practice and the practical skills required. It explains why youth work ‘works’ and what makes it different to other work with young people.
• An understanding of the theory of youth work and why it is an effective way to engage young people.
• The roles and responsibilities of a youth worker
• Different models of youth work and how to deliver them
• Key skills and qualities of an effective youth worker
• Ways to engage and build trusting relationships with young people.
Workshop 2 – 23rd May 9.30am – 12.30pm
The second workshop explores young people’s development, issues that affect them and safeguarding in a youth work environment. It provides a basic understanding of diversity and inclusion and explores the principles for working safely together in a range of settings.
• Global, national and local issues that impact on young people.
• Learn about basic adolescent development and key milestones for young people
• Consider diversity and equality in youth work
• Explore professional confidentiality and boundaries and agree principles for safe working
• Develop an understanding of safeguarding within a youth work context.
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.