Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
- This event has passed.
Working with Groups
8 June, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Essential for youth work is the ability to bring young people together to learn, develop and grow through shared experiences. This workshop aims to help youth workers develop the skills, knowledge, and ability to facilitate effective small group work. Starting with how to set up a group, we will consider group work theories and how these work within a youth work environment, tips for facilitating groups and ways to encourage active participation and create opportunities for leadership. We will also consider the power dynamics within groups and ways to manage potential conflict, as well as reflecting on how to ensure diversity and inclusion remains central to the group work experience.
• An understanding of group work theories and how to use them with groups of young people
• Some of the challenges of working with groups and ways to overcome them
• An introduction to leadership theories and roles within groups
• Consider the role of the facilitator and the power dynamics in participation
• Experience participating in group work activities to recognise own role in groups and group dynamics in practice
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.