Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
Understanding and Managing Behaviour that Challenges
12 October, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Challenging behaviour can be symptomatic of other feelings and emotions including anxiety, fear and frustration. Whether displaying learnt behaviour, used as a coping mechanism or simply a way to be heard, it can sometimes be difficult for professionals to know how and when to respond to an angry child or young person in a way that doesn’t escalate the situation further.
This introductory workshop aims to develop an understanding of how anger and aggression is triggered and experienced by children and young people and practical ways to work in a trauma informed way to help them express feelings, so they don’t overwhelm and lead to conflict. We will also consider personal triggers and ways that our own expectations and behaviours can impact on a challenging situation, along with practical tips for diffusing difficulties and keeping safe.
• The basic principles of anger management theory and how this works in practice
• The potential impact of trauma and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s) on emotions and behaviour
• To identify ‘triggers’ that impact on how we cope with feelings of anger and frustration
• Ways to identify early warning signs and simple techniques to diffuse challenging situations
• Ways to build emotional literacy and encourage young people to name and express their emotions rather than act them out.
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.