Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
- This event has passed.
Understanding and Managing Behaviour that Challenges
11 July, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Challenging behaviour can be symptomatic of other feelings and emotions including anxiety, fear and frustration. Whether displaying learnt behaviour, used as a coping mechanism for trauma or simply a way to be heard, it can sometimes be difficult for youth workers to know how and when to respond in a way that doesn’t escalate the situation further.
This workshop aims to develop a wider understanding of how anger and aggression can be triggered and experienced by young people, especially those with complex needs including neurodiversity and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). We will consider practical and appropriate strategies that youth workers can adopt, e.g. positive role models, clear boundaries, empathy, and the potential for ongoing support e.g. personal plans developed in partnership with school, home, or health professionals, to help young people build skills to better cope with stresses and challenges.
- Define what challenging behaviour is, and why some behaviour challenges
- Identify key triggers for anger and aggression
- The potential impact of trauma and ACEs and learnt behaviour responses to challenging situations
- Ways youth workers can support young people without overstepping professional boundaries
- Knowing when to refer or support young people to access specialist services
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.