Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
- This event has passed.
Introduction to Youth Work – two parts
10/11/2022, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Two interactive virtual workshops to develop practical youth work skills for effectively supporting young people aged 11-19. Ideal for anyone working within a youth club or youth project, this course is suitable for volunteers, part time and full time staff.
Workshop 1 – Tuesday 1st November
This workshop explores the values and ethics of youth work and explains why it is different to other work with young people.
In this workshop you will:
- Learn about the ethos of youth work
- Understand the role and responsibilities of a youth worker
- Identify transferable skills and qualities for inclusive youth work
- Consider how personal values impact on youth work practice and developing positive regard for all young people
- Consider ways to engage and build trusting relationships with young people.
Workshop 2 – Thursday 10th November
The second workshop explores young people’s development, issues that affect them and safeguarding in youth work. It provides a basic understanding of diversity and inclusion and explores the principles for working safely together in a range of settings.
In this workshop you will:
- Discuss global, national and local issues that impact on young people
- Learn about basic adolescent development and key milestones for young people
- Consider diversity and equality in youth work
- Explore professional confidentiality and boundaries and agree principles for safe working
- Develop an understanding of safeguarding within a youth work context.
You must attend both Part 1 and Part 2 Introduction to Youth Work sessions or you will not be able to complete the course and get your certificate. If you can’t attend both sessions then please do not book this month.
Click ‘Attend’ below to register for both parts.
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.