Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
- This event has passed.
Exploring Consent with Young People
23 May, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Central to any positive relationship is consent. More than simply saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to penetrative sex, many youth workers report young people feeling anxious, confused and even angry about misinformation and a general lack of clarity about informed consent. With media stories raising wider concerns about sexual harassment, gender inequality and rape, this is a complex issue that impacts on all young people, regardless of gender identity or sexuality. This workshop looks at consent in its broadest sense, considering the impact of family, faith and culture on attitudes to sex and relationships as well as the external influences that young people are subject to. With ideas for engaging young people in positive conversations and encouraging them to make safe, healthy choices, we will consider how youth work can support young people to understand the real meaning of consent and how to give it.
• What consent means and the circumstances in which is can be given
• The laws currently in place to protect young people from harm and exploitation
• Current influences on young people’s attitudes to relationships and sex, including peer pressure
• The potential role of youth workers in educating young people and promoting healthy relationships
• Where to go for more information and support
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.