Training and Events
You can browse our upcoming events below, including training sessions, network events, workshops, and more. Use the filters on the left side to refine your search.
Click on an event to read more about it and find out how to book on. Please note that we only advertise events six weeks in advance, so please check back later if your preferred date is not available.
Most events are only open to London Youth members. If you would like to join as member, click here.
- This event has passed.
An Introduction to developing trauma informed practice in youth work
13/10/2022, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
All young people are unique and will react and respond differently to things that happen as they grow up. However, for some, the environment they grow up in, the people around them and the stressful or traumatic events they experience, also known as Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s), combine to impact negatively in ways that can be lifelong. To cope with these, young people can exhibit a wide range of behaviours, from blocking it out to anger and aggression.
This workshop introduces the basic principles of adopting a trauma-informed approach to youth work practice with children and young people. This includes what trauma is, how to identify it, and some action steps towards engaging young people effectively to build supportive relationships and develop positive coping strategies.
• Explore Adverse Childhood Experiences, what they are and how they can impact on young
people as they grow up
• Consider the impact of trauma on the adolescent brain and emotional / social development
• Identify connections between various risky and / or challenging behaviours and early negative
• Discuss ways to build trauma informed positive relationships through youth work.
Important information about training:
- You can book a maximum of 2 people per organisation for an individual training.
- Online training is interactive, you must have connection to a microphone and cameras will be encouraged to be switched on to facilitate discussion and engagement during the session and/or in breakout rooms.
- Training Cancellation Policy – if you can no longer attend a training then please let us know at least working 3 days before the training so we can offer this training to someone on the waiting list. Cancellations made 2 working days or less before a scheduled training course may be subject to a penalty.
- We operate a waiting list for this training. If you find that a training is full and still want to attend, please email the Membership Development Support Officer. We will contact you directly before the training if there is space.