Getting Ready Programme
Offering high quality, fun sports opportunities within local communities.
Getting Ready is our sports development programme which has been created to provide young people with regular sports opportunities, with a particular aim to increase the number of typically inactive young people taking part. And to build the long-term capacity of community-based youth organisations to deliver diverse and accessible sports opportunities.
Focused in the more disadvantaged areas of the capital where a lack of facilities, equipment, and trained instructors has built a barrier between young people and participation, we take a carefully staged approach delivering a huge range of sports, chosen by young people.
How it works?
Getting Ready enables young Londoners, whatever their background, motivations or natural ability, to come together and play sport. Our aim is for each young Londoner to develop a life-long love of sport.
We support 100 of our member youth clubs to deliver a bespoke ‘sports offer’ chosen by young people in their local community. We reach those not currently participating, who can be disengaged from school and not currently accessing sports elsewhere.
Our programme meets the differing motivations and challenges of young people by offering opportunities through taster sessions, high quality weekly engagement, fun, and pathways to coaching qualifications and delivery experience.
We capture young people’s interest and keep them engaged by using the following simple but flexible model tailored for each youth club:
- Taster sessions
- Weekly structures sports sessions
- NGB (or equivalent) coaching and leadership training and progression
- Residential weekends and tournaments
- Disability-specific programmes
- Free sports equipment
...and achieving real results
Our impact since June 2009:
- 14,500 young people have attended and completed ten-week sports programmes in Getting Ready sports
- 1,400 youth workers and young leaders have gained National Governing Body coaching qualifications
- Seven years into the programme, there continues to be a 40% increase in the number of ‘non-sporty’ young people taking part in sport in Getting Ready youth clubs
- To date, 140 young leaders have gained paid coaching experience as a result of training they received through Getting Ready, progressing them into sports careers and providing sporting role models in their communities
In recognition of these achievements, Getting Ready has gained a number of external awards including:
- Pro-Active Partner of the Year in East and Central London 2010
- The London 2012 Inspire Mark, the first youth programme to be awarded this
- London Sport Community Sport Project of the Year 2014
If you would like to learn more about our Getting Ready programme, please contact Jas Hothi (east London) on 07736 619603 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or John Jones (central London) on 07736 619595 or email him at email@example.com or Andy Staples (west London) on 07736 619609 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.